Wednesday, November 25, 2009

If I Designed 6x1 Part II

Well, I assume the topic refers to the notion of what my plans would be if I were to be in charge of designing another 6x1 class in addition to the current one. A sequel of sorts. In response to that, I would say, keep things going the way they are. The format works well for the span of a semester, and the workload is not overbearing. Six films throughout the timeframe of a semester is just right. It may seem like a lot at the start of the class when you're first introduced to the due dates as they come one after the other, but if the student does not put it off until the last minute, then there is more enough time allotted for each film. I guess the only amendment or request would in regards to the 48-Hour Film Race. If it could be done over the weekend, instead of during the week, it would be a bit easier, especially if you need to find any crew for the project. Maybe start it on a Friday to Sunday, or even Thursday at the end of class until Saturday. I still found enough time to do my film, so it's just a thought, not a complaint. I also think that the continuation of the blogs is an important part of getting credit for the course, especially since there's not a lot of reading and no real papers required.

I guess the best way to add an additional course to the already existing one would be to keep the exact same format, but with new techniques. I'm sure that Andre knows a lot more than what he was able to teach us in the span of just one semester. Maybe even combine two or more techniques together for some of the projects. Also, there could always be the addition of more themes for the projects in the same manner that our first one was elements, or the baby food jars for the race. Me, being a person who usually likes to include an agenda of some sort in my films (be it quite subtle or extremely obvious), I would not mind seeing themes like politics or taking a topic from the news and running with it.

Obviously, I don't know how to successfully plan a college course, so the above is merely a compilation of some suggestions. I can say that were there to be an additional course of 6x1 focusing on experimental film and taught by Andre, I would definitely sign up for it (and I'm not just saying that in hopes of a good grade). Honestly, I enjoyed the course thoroughly, and I learned more in this class about making films than I have in any other class in my two and a half year college career. I have already incorporated some of the techniques and know-how into my other projects, as well as my own personal filmmaking. I have also changed my mind about experimental filmmaking as a whole. I, like many of the students from what I have overheard, was a bit closed off to the idea of experimental filmmaking, but I allowed myself to be open to the course, and my opinion changed quickly. Now, I must admit that I enjoy both watching them, as well as making them, and I definitely intend to continue exploring the experimental world of making movies. To wrap up, I thoroughly enjoyed this class, and while I am a perfectionist and never truly feel done with anything I do, I can honestly say that I am pretty much proud of my films and the work I've done in the course.

No comments:

Post a Comment