Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Synesthesia

The idea behind synesthesia is an interesting and intriguing notion. As far as I know, I'm not a synesthete, but I do associate certain senses with others. In fact, I think that we all associate certain senses with others, like warm colors and cold or sights and smells with tastes. But to know that people can smell or hear a picture, or see a sound or taste is fascinating. I think that this is something that has been somewhat explored in the realm of film, but could be explored so much more, in various ways. However, I do feel that many narrative filmmakers may have been exploring it subconsciously. Often times certain film sets or costume colors, as well as gels and filters, have been used to evoke particular emotions concerning scenes or characters which, in turn, would effect the audience as well. Also, sound has always been used to provoke the audience to associate a piece of music or sound effect with a certain character and the mood they represent. But since little thought has went into making a conscious choice to link one sense to another through the technique of filmmaking, it's uncertain the lengths of what can be achieved through it. Obviously, experimental filmmaking is at the forefront of the potential for trials in synesthesia. Directors like Brakhage and Deren were known for attempting to link two or more senses together. When watching Meshes of the Afternoon for the first time, I actually found myself annoyed at the effect that it was having on me. It bothered me by overloading my senses. Of course, upon repeated viewings, I realized that Deren was intending on that feeling all along. Hopefully, I can try to experiment with this throughout the course of the semester and eventually learn how to work the effects of synesthesia into my own films as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment