Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Scratch Film Junkies: St. Louise

When we watched St. Louise by the Scratch Film Junkies in class on Thursday night, I was once again impressed by what they brough to the table. I think that they have a lot of talent, and they bring a whole new perspective to what can be done with experimental film. More importantly, judging by their work, they seem to be enjoying the fact that they are doing it, which is a rare trait to find in and around many of those who work and play in the world of filmmaking.

Within this recent work, I noticed some techniques that I most certainly was not familiar with when we watched their first film. To begin with, there was obvious painting and drawing directly on the film; a technique we have become quite familiar with ourselves in class. Also noticeable within the film was some kind of newspaper/ magazine/ or print type transfer. They also seemed to use an optical printer and potentially some type of stamps, though I am not positive about that, and their use of music was extremely effective. I remember the band Soul Coughing quite well, but that's because I'm old.

So far, the Scratch Film Junkies seem to be adding to my overall interest in the realm of experimental film. My interest was quite low to begin with, but I must say that it has, at least, doubled since the 6x1 class began, especially after completing my rhythmic editing project. I really enjoyed that project, and a lot of the work we have seen in class has had an influence, including the Scratch Film Junkies and some of the very interesting films we have seen from prior semesters. I think I learned from them and brought some of that over into the work I accomplished on the rhythmic editing project. It, and the films we saw, have made me realize that just because a film is not telling a "traditional" story, does not mean that it is not saying something. In fact, it may be saying something in a lot stronger fashion, being as it is no longer hindered by terrible acting, an atrocious script, and jerky camera movements to substitute for style.

As for the Scratch Film Junkies, I definitely have to look up more of their work and learn more about the group themselves. Who, where and their personal reasons for why they do what they do would be quite interesting to me. I haven't found much by way of their work online, so hopefully I can track down some of their films on DVD, and find out more of what they have to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment